CONSTITUTION OF THE SOUTHWESTERN ASSOCIATION OF PARASITOLOGISTS
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Southwestern Association of Parasitologists, hereinafter referred to as the Association.
ARTICLE II. OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the Association shall be the advancement of the disciplines of parasitology, promotion of parasitological research and teaching, provide for informal discussion of research and teaching in parasitology, and fellowship among workers in parasitology and allied fields.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
The Association shall be open to all interested person, regardless of place of employment, residence, or affiliation in other recognized societies, so long as the individual’s employment or affiliation do not advocate overthrow of the Constitution of the United States of America.
1. There shall be student members, i.e., individuals who have not earned a doctorate degree and are enrolled as full-time students in a recognized educational institution.
2. There shall be full members, i.e., individuals who have terminated their studies and those who do not fall into the student member category.
3. There shall be emeritus members, i.e., individuals who have retired from active professional work and who have been full members for at least 10 years. Emeritus status is granted upon written request to the Secretary-Treasurer. Emeritus members shall not pay dues but shall be accorded all rights and privileges of full members.
4. There shall be life members, i.e., individuals who have made a one-time contribution of at least $250.00 to the Association. Contributions by life members shall be placed in student award accounts. Life members shall be exempt from payment of dues and shall exercise all rights of full members.
ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS
1. The officers of the Association shall be President, President-Elect, Secretary-Treasurer, and Representative to the Council of the American Society of Parasitologists, hereinafter referred to as ASP Representative.
2. The term of the office of the President and President-Elect shall be one (1) year, beginning at the close of the annual meeting.
3. a. The term of office of the Secretary-Treasurer shall be three (3) years, beginning at the close of the annual meeting.
b. The term of the ASP Representative shall be three (3) years, beginning at the close of the annual meeting.
4. The duties of the officers shall be such as usually pertain to the offices held and also duties that may be prescribed by the Constitution.
5. Election of the President-Elect and Secretary-Treasurer shall be by a simple majority of the members voting. The office of President shall be assumed by the President-Elect at the end of his/her term. In the case of death or resignation by the President, the newly elected President-Elect will assume the duties and serve out the terms of both offices.